Saturday, October 18, 2014

MY experience with S.C.U.B.A. diving

Image courtesy of  wikipedia 
OK, well here we are again writing about one of my life's defining moments, the first time I went SCUBA diving.  Alright, so here we are 13 year old me begging my mom and dad to get my SCUBA license and they said "well, there is a place to get it in Salt Lake... but its quite expensive"  and  stupid me replied with (and remember these words) what if I don't get ANYTHING for my birthday? And yes, I know what your thinking, your thinking wow, how greedy. Let me tell you.... Yeah I am greedy....  Anyway the whole SCUBA license never happened AND I never got anything for my birthday.  Then.... over the summer we went to Australia. Yeah... we kinda drove about a million kilometers and pet kangaroos.  However, that wasn't the defining moment of my trip.  Fun fact about me! I love underwater stuff, in fact I love anything that involves the idea of life underwater.  So here we are in Australia and we go on a fairy to the great barrier reef.  Now, theres this program where you can go to the GBR (great barrier reef) and SCUBA dive.  So we went to the lady who ran the ferry and I was like "PLEASE PLEASE" and I acted like I was gonna cry and the lady at the last second was like "alright let me see what I can do".  FLASH FORWARD (were on the ship now).  So here I am trying to understand the asian instructor who knows next to no english and the english she does know she says it in a thick Australian accent.  So I figure ok, we just put on the gear right? Right? of course its way more complicated then I thought.  Somehow I miraculously put it all on  and we jump in the water. anyway I finally give the thumbs up to my instructor and jump in the cold water with all my scuba gear on, well more or less clumsily slide...  Since its an introductory dive it takes about a half hour to learn all the hand signals.  Oh and by the way my sister is with me the entire time. Back to the story...   and the water is absolutely freezing.  So half of me is saying get the f*** outta here! and the other half is saying this is gonna be so much fun.  So I decide to stay in and then we finally go underwater.  There are no words to describe what I was feeling that moment but the closest you can come to is excited and happy.  I will attempt (and miserably fail) to describe to you what I was seeing, ok here we go, first of all there were sea cucumbers the with of a basketball and about  four feet long and all different shapes and sizes.   There were hundreds and hundreds of exotic underwater animals and a wide variety of colors.  It felt like god took a pee of life and this was the result.  It was absolutely spectacular.   When the Asian lady said to go back up to the surface I was beyond disappointed, I wanted to stay in that underwater aquatic world,  then we went back to the island and then I went to sleep.  And Ive never slept harder then I did that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment